Monday, June 22, 2015

Five months and a visit to a 500 year old church

June 22, 2015

    I realized that I hit my sixth month mark next month and it made me realize how fast everything is going here in Germany. I have almost been out for 1/4 of my mission now. That is crazy. I found that really just getting lost in the work helps me to lose track of time and then I look back and it is 5 months into my mission!!!!

    I have lasted through another transfer which is pretty exciting and my companion and I are staying together for another transfer (about 6 weeks) which I am pretty excited about. This week, we had two companion exchanges because this transfer we have had a lot of stuff to do and it was only a 5 week transfer and not a six week transfer (like it usually is) so I was in a different area for 2 days because of that but it was a fun time

    This past week my companion and I didn't know what we should teach the new converts in our ward so we decided to pray about it and I suggested that we write the topic down on two different pieces of paper and show the papers to each other.  I wrote prayer and he wrote Holy Ghost which go well together and we finished planning the lesson from there. We showed up to the appointment and the man said he wanted us to see a film and it was an LDS church film about prayer and the Holy Ghost!!! It was so awesome and then we talked about experiences that we have had with prayer and the blessing that come from prayer. It was a really cool lesson and was totally guided by the Spirit.

   I am having a good time here, though, and the ward is great.  The ward has a choir but we always forget to plan for it so we have only been once but we want to go and participate a little bit more and try building relationships with ward members.  We have people we are working with right now but they just need a little push to get their gears in motion so it can be a little challenging at times but nothing too hard. Since we are close to the Czech border, we do meet people from there but the people that are Czechs really do not speak German. We have met and talked with someone that was from Moldova.  We haven't found any community service activities in the area but we are looking and trying to find stuff.

   Annaberg-Buchholz does have a markt platz, a little smaller but I like it a little more less crowded and more relaxed. They have a lot of wood work stuff here and the “holz” in Bucholz actually means is wood, so a lot of craftmanship. This area is kinda the redneck area of Germany I think.

   We have all types of fruits here. Cherries, raspberries, peaches, oranges, strawberries, and some other types of berries. A lot of them are with the desserts though. I love sauerkraut and rotkohl (a sweet & sour red cabbage) so much and I could probably eat that stuff every single day I just cannot get enough of it!!!.

   We visited an old church last P-day and it was interesting and different.  Different religion and way of remembering Jesus Christ. I think they had 30 or so pictures of the Savior on the cross and sculptures too, but still interesting. (mom note: it was St. Anne's church in Annaberg-Buchholz which was built in 1499)
A photo from St. Anne's  --Link to more photos



Since last week’s rain storm, I keep an umbrella on me all the time now which is very handy.

   Scripture for the week is Alma 29:1 "O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!"

I hope you have a good week!
Love you!!!

Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment