Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Thanksgiving in Germany and Zone Conference

November 30, 2015

Elder Fisher and Elder Westbury helped decorate
a Christmas tree for service.
   I am staying warm here in Germany but dry is the harder part seeing how it rains about every other day at least.

   You asked why Californians can’t get licenses in Germany-- The rule about the license is a Germany rule and I am not completely sure why but they have this rule for certain states like: Oregon, North Carolina, and a few other as well. It kinda stinks but it is whatever, at least my companion lets me drive the grocery cart every Monday.

Zone Conference Lunch on American Thanksgiving.
   I did not meet anyone interesting this past week because we were out of our area quite a bit this past week for the zone conference in Hamburg and we were doing lots of lessons and service as well this week, so we did meet people but no one too crazy or interesting. We had one eating appointment and we had Leber Käse with a fried egg and potatoes as well. It was good.

   The zone conference was in Hamburg on Thanksgiving Day and it was good, although the more meetings I go to on my mission where I have to sit for long periods of time makes me realize more and more that I cannot have an only office job. At zone conference we learned about member missionary work.  As part of the zone conference we watched the "A Savior Is Born" video and we learned about using the new video from the church.  We ate a very German lunch for American Thanksgiving: rot kohl, potatoes, and this dish that was meat with a pickle in the middle. It was good but mom’s cooking is always better. When we got to where we were overnighting, the other elders and I got 6 pizzas (from the store), Fanta, baguettes, and a large cheesecake to eat for our actual Thanksgiving meal. It was a feast. 

Thanksgiving dinner in Germany--
pizza, soda, baguettes, and cheescake
     I will try finding a Christmas market at the right time because they’re sometimes difficult in the smaller cities to get at the right times. What I mean by that is they only last 4-5 days in one city and then it is over. But different cities have them at different times.

For the iPod I usually just play whatever songs come up and my companion says if he likes it or not, it is a lot like with dad and iPods in the car.

   I studied and finished the end of Mosiah this past week and it amazes me every time I read the story of Alma the younger and how much he changed.

   My scripture for the week is actually a part of a song:
"How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is giv’n!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of his heav’n.
No ear may hear his coming;
But in this world of sin,
A German candy egg made from chocolate
with a toy inside---isn's that Snoopy??
Where meek souls will receive him, still
The dear Christ enters in." 
     from “ Oh Little Town of Bethlehem

   Quote of the week: "Fra-Geel-a--it must be Italian." The father in "A Christmas Story"

   Transfers are next week but I don't know if I will be transferred or not but I would like to stay in this area a lot. My companion and I really do work well together I feel like.

   I don't really have anything else to say except that I would like some of the Thanksgiving pictures. I really do enjoy the pictures.  I hope that you all have a great week and wish you all the best.  Love you.
Love

Elder Fisher


Elder Fisher with his new messenger bag...
his first one was falling apart.
*****Mom note.....If you haven't had the opportunity to watch the video Elder Fisher mentioned, you can find it by clicking on the title named in the letter or by going to www.mormon.org.  I hope you will take the time to watch a beautiful presentation inspired by Isaiah 9: 6


No comments:

Post a Comment