Monday, August 10, 2015

Train Travel and a Car ride--and Elder Fisher is in his new area

August 10, 2015

It has rained pretty much every day since I have been here in the Bad Bentheim area and it is really cool.

To get to my new area, I traveled by train. We are allowed to travel alone on the trains but we have to have someone waiting at the train station when we arrive or we have to change trains or something. I went through Chemnitz, Leipzig, and Hannover before I arrived in Osnabrück and then my companion and I drove from Onsabrück to our apartment (mom note: according do Google maps, this is about an 8 hour train ride).

            My companion is Elder Rosenvall and he is from Magna, Utah.  I think he is been out a little over a year on his mission.  Before his mission, he did a year of school at a community college in Salt Lake City.  He and I seem to get along pretty well.  He is a good missionary and he is actually the District leader so I get to hear the calls every night that he has to make to the other missionaries.

We actually live in a place called Rheine which is a half hour away from Bad Bentheim. We live in the nicest apartment that I have had on my mission so far and the shower is actually a good one!!! I am so happy!!! 

The other side of Germany is a night and day difference. The western part of Germany is like America except that everything is in German. The German is totally different, too, but it takes like a week to get adjusted to the accent I think and then everything will be okay.

We go to other towns all the time. In most of the German wards, the ward boundaries actually cover a very large area (even several cities) unless the missionaries are in Hamberg or Berlin or something like that.  Our area is very spread out and so we get to use a car (Mom note: I'm sure Elder Fisher loves this!).   The next is in response to a question: The gas stations here are all self-service and thank goodness because that would be really awkward if someone had to pump my gas for me. My thought anyways.

The branch (a small group of church members) is about 25 active members and there are like 25 or so inactive families in the area so even if everyone was active we would still have a smaller ward. Me and my companion are the only missionaries assigned to this branch so that is fun, I guess so in answer to your question, we don’t have any senior couples serving in this branch. 

(Mom note: The town boundaries of Bad Bentheim are also the boundaries between Germany and The Netherlands and we asked Elder Fisher if they saw many Dutch people in their area)  We see Dutch people all the time and actually we have a Dutch family in our ward here and he (the dad?) is pretty funny.

Scripture for the week is Luke 15:4-6:  “What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?  And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.  And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.”

Quote for the week "Stop It!" Dieter F. Uchtdorf.  My mind is blank so this is the only thing I could think of.

I haven't really been taken pictures this past week but I promise that I will this week and try to send them. Love you and I hope you have a good week and please keep me updated on what is going on in everyone's lives. I promise pictures next week.

Love you lots,

Elder Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment